2014. szeptember 7., vasárnap

What to eat?


That's an important question. And now that we know I still don't eat bat meat, the question is even more pressing: what DO I eat then?
Good news is, avocados grow here to the size of a smaller melon. Or a bigger grapefruit. Pineapple is at home here as well, and there are aubergines (eggplants), tomatos, bell peppers, cucumbers, and in the fruit department (avocado is not a fruit in my world) there are bananas, maracujas (passion fruit) and apples. Those are available on the local market, fresh, cheap.
In the store we can buy pasta, rice, lentils, chick peas, local cheese, sometimes foreign cheese, tuna, and then totally randomly sometimes spinach, other times cooking cream, oats, pesto, mustard.
I heard that there are two butchers, but I never visit them. I don't want to imagine what the frequent power cuts can do to the quality of cooling, and I don't want to risk. Controversially, I trust restaurants to know where to find reliable meat, so I sometimes eat it there.
So good news is that the veggie are fresh. I personally love ratatouille and aubergine, and could live for weeks on avocado. I would just get a tad bit bored.
And this is exactly what happens here: what we eat is rather good, it's just always the same. Most probably the cook at the canteen shops at the same market as everybody else, and as a result the canteen offers the same food as you can have at home. Except they peel and slice the pineapple, which is rather convenient.

Probably due to this not too diverse diet I always feel hungry, or at least I always dream about food. Which is strange, especially if I also tell you that for reasons yet to be discovered (either the climate, the water, or the canteen) I constantly feel like I've swallowed a balloon and it's all in my tummy now.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése