2014. szeptember 6., szombat

About the ebola


Yes, there is ebola also in DRC. It is a different strain than the one in West-Africa, and thus independent from it. It would have happened in DRC even if it hadn't in West Africa. And sadly here it's more or less common to have an outbreak every three or for years. Which also means that they know what to do: isolate, stop spreading. And this is exactly what is being done in the Équateur province, which is about as far from here as Luxembourg is from Hungary. Except that traffic is a lot worse. By which I mean there are not many roads.
The other thing you need to know is that ebola is not airborne. It can be contracted by eating infected meat or by direct contact with infected people. So I still don't eat bat meat and keep body fluid exchange at a record low.

I know that it's a serious thing and I'm not trying to joke it off. I'm also trying to not create any panic, and I know, that from afar all that can be seen is that thousands of people die of ebola in Africa. And it's all true, except Africa is huge, and the thousands are dying on the other side. I could throw in a few statistics showing how many more die in a year of malaria, typhoid fever and other tropical diseases, but it doesn't make the whole epidemic any less tragic, and then you would just start worrying about malaria (I'm taking preventinve drugs) and typhoid fever (I'm vaccinated).

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése