2015. július 2., csütörtök

They come and go

So during all this whining about people coming and going and most of all, leaving me, I forgot that if it wasn't for all those people coming and going, I wouldn't have to give a 5 minute long answer to my nephew's „where are you sleeping?” question, explaining that I'll stay at Gramma (his Gramma, my Mom), but then will spend the weekend at Raluca, go see Zsuzsi, then stay Chez Pisti for another weekend, and then at the Hotel Heikkila before coming back to Gramma and then going to Goma again.
Point is (apart from him probably telling at the creche that Auntie Kati always has a suitcase with her because she sleeps around a lot), it took me till stopover number 3 to realize that I'm being given a room, a bed, a key somewhere else every 3 days, and that it only feels natural.
And yes, sometimes there is a lump in my throat when I drop the spare key in the mailbox (because I always sneak out like almost lovers, during the day, when my host is at work), but that's just part of the deal. Nothing ever comes for free, and maybe the price for having people who get grapefruit juice and pesto for your breakfast is that you only get to see them twice a year. Not everybody can accept your „I can't make decisions right now” drama queen BS when the question simply was whether to take a tram or walk – and the ones who can may have been trained on your sporadic, irregular and not very coherent whatsapp messages, because they live a few continents away. Spending a mindless „field” weekend with somebody who says what you think or thinks what you say (and gets up early to get fresh croissants for breakfast) feels all the more special because you don't get to do that every other weekend.
On the other hand, we have it easier. People who are the eternal gypsy like I am (and yes, I am going to use the term „gypsy” from now on – I know it's probably not very PC; please interpret it as the literal translation of the French expression „gens de voyage” - ie the people who keep moving around. Regardless of skin colour or country/continent/territory of origin.) have a much easier way of knowing or recognizing real friends. Those who stay in touch really mean it – tadaaa! I imagine one could stay in the city they grew up and keep more or less the same circle of friends because that's the way it's always been, without having to think twice. Now I don't have a way it's always been. But I have friends who give me keys and rooms and their Dad's pálinka etc, see above. The ones who schedule their lives for a week to accommodate my arrival and pick up conversations where they weren't even left off – all hail to technology, for it makes it possible to aks the girls which dress I should wear for a party, and it makes no difference if we are on different continents.

I'm not sure if there is a moral to this story – my stories usually don't have one. If there is one, it should read: Dear friends, please keep going away so I know which one of you is for real. And also, so I can have my suitcases explode in your living room. Love, K.


(Stay tuned! The next chapter will cover the „why did I sign for another year” topic, and other deeply existential questions.)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése