2015. március 4., szerda

Holida-y

I was on holdiays! DRC didn't make it to the Africa Cup Finals, but they did win the „little final” so finished third afterall, so yay!
Let me start with geography. It is summer South of Equator now. Then consider that last time I had proper holidays was when Die Sömetings were touring Switzerland and Italy, and well, that wasn't yesterday. Then add to it that I grew up in a small, flat, landlocked country, and then spent a significant amount of time in little, flat, mainly landlocked countries since. And if somebody thinks that I'm a bit of a plant as in I can't go on for long without sunshine, well, they are not mistaken either.
Oh, and let's not forget that I currently live in a place where movement is a bit limited, and in addition everything is just far enough for us having to drive all the time, and where food is cheap and fresh, but the choices are rather limited.


Considering all of the above, I have to say it was quite a brilliant idea to choose the Republic of South Africa for my vacations. The country truly is the Australia of this continent: they have a funny accent and love their barbecues.  Other than that, they have on display: hills and mountains and valleys, two oceans, all kinds of wild beasts, and fair amount of sunshine. Oh, and nice food and pleasant wine.

So we didn't really do much more than driving a lot (from Johannesburg all the way to Cape Town, with detours and frequent beach stops), then walked a lot, ate well and supported the local wine industry. I am really not sure why I packed so many clothes as I refused to wear anything that had sleeves – a decent tan is a must.
The country is beautiful! It's probably also because of the season, but I couldn't stop being amazed and thinking these colours cannot be for real, and that maybe in this country public works mean repainting the skies and the ground.



Besides the sunshine-oceans-good food combination, the thing I really enjoyed is that in South Africa it's not eternal summer, the seasons actually change, I just happened to arrive at the right time. This makes people, tourists and locals alike, act differently. Like when in the Benelux the first sunny day arrives, and everybody is over the moon and all over the patios and walks up and down in town with a happy grin because maybe winter will end sometime, and maybe life has a point after all. And even if it doesn't, it's so much prettier when the lights are right. I've been missing this feeling and was really glad having found it again.
Of course summer in February also means (as I learnt) that the beauty industry moves down to Cape Town in November and stays and works there until March, because Europe and North America is up to their belly buttons in snow, and that can make it hard to shoot credible underwear commercials. I guess. So everything was packed with really good looking people, and it seemed it was their job to be gorgeous. This is a very pleasant background for holidays, but then also a bit confusing until you know where they all come from, and then at some point it can be a little overwhelming too. Ok, fine, I didn't cry much over the beauty of everyone around me. I did feel extremely sorry for myself over the unbearably, tackily beautiful places I had to be, and that the only way for me not to see the Atlantic from my balcony is to close my eyes, but even then, I can still smell it.




Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése